Our first gathering since 2018
- As you may be aware, our FWCC Asia West Pacific Section is planning a Section Gathering for the first time in several years, meeting in Hong Kong, October 19-23.
- For many Friends in Asia West Pacific, our biennial in-person Section Gathering represents the best way to meet other Friends beyond their often smaller Meetings, away from the technical and linguistic limitations of the screen, and with time enough to learn and build cross-cultural understanding
- Quakers from different lands and different ways of worship come together in a peaceful and unifying setting over several days. We hope this means relationships can strengthen, perspectives can be more deeply appreciated, and cultural insights harmonised, as we more deeply encounter the wisdom within our own and each other’s Quaker traditions.
In short, we hope to refresh and revitalise our Quaker practices and connections across our region, rejoicing in each other’s company, and more aware of ways Friends can contribute to mutual understanding in our region.
A wider perspective
Both Tim Gee, FWCC General Secretary from London, and Sarah Clarke, Director of the Quaker UN Office in New York, have committed to attending, and will offer their thoughts on current directions of Quakers in the wider World Family of Friends, and international efforts for peace, cooperation, justice and environmental care.
Our appeal: please consider donating
- Many Friends in less developed countries, including India, the Philippines and Nepal, are much less able to cover the costs of attending this Gathering.
- Might you consider supporting Friends from these countries to enable them to participate in the Gathering and expand our collective vision of what it means to be a Quaker in the 21st century?
- Apart from travel costs, the accommodation and food costs at the gathering is expected to be $460 per participant. Contributions of $10, $20, $50, $200 or $460 may be made here to help make this Gathering a success.https://fwccawps.org/donate-to-fwcc-awps/
- We can also help you estimate the return airfare for participants, if you would like to make it more possible for Friends from less developed countries to attend – please contact Adrian here
All contributions, great or small, will help us build Friends’ fellowship across the Asia West Pacific Section.
Adrian Glamorgan Harold Wilkinson
PS: Have you thought of coming yourself?
- Register here! We’d love to see you! We encourage you to think about what you could contribute, what you would hope to learn while at the Gathering, and how you could offer it back to Friends in your meeting. https://forms.gle/ZYCvrzYaR3B6DDmc7
- If you’re thinking of coming – You might be wondering – are there scholarships available? Much depends on how this fundraiser goes! In terms of support, we will be prioritising Friends from South Asia and The Philippines, and would particular encourage younger Quakers to apply. Please email the FWCC AWPS Secretary, Adrian Glamorgan asap
Please Donate * or Register * or Forward this invite